Exclusive interview with Nobel Peace Prize winner and Issue 13 cover story, Dr. Muhammad Yunus.
In this interview, we talk with Nobel Peace Prize winner, Dr. Muhammad Yunus who is the Godfather of Social Business tacking poverty head-on. Discover his secrets to success, advice to new Change Creators, and what the future holds.
He is known as the “Banker to the Poor.”
“Poverty does not belong in civilize human society. Its proper place is in a museum.” ~Yunus
Dr. Yunus established the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh in 1983, fueled by the belief that credit is a fundamental human right. His objective was to help poor people escape from poverty by providing loans on terms suitable to them and by teaching them a few sound financial principles so they could help themselves.
From Dr. Yunus’ personal loan of small amounts of money to destitute basket weavers in Bangladesh in the mid-70s, the Grameen Bank has advanced to the forefront of a burgeoning world movement toward eradicating poverty through microlending. Replicas of the Grameen Bank model operate in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Dr. Yunus is the recipient of numerous international awards for his ideas and endeavors, including the Mohamed Shabdeen Award for Science (1993), Sri Lanka; Humanitarian Award (1993), CARE, USA; World Food Prize (1994), World Food Prize Foundation, USA; lndependence Day Award (1987), Bangladesh’s highest award; King Hussein Humanitarian Leadership Award (2000), King Hussien Foundation, Jordan; Volvo Environment Prize (2003), Volvo Environment Prize Foundation, Sweden; Nikkei Asia Prize for Regional Growth (2004), Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Japan; Franklin D. Roosevelt Freedom Award (2006), Roosevelt Institute of The Netherlands; and the Seoul Peace Prize (2006), Seoul Peace Prize Cultural Foundation, Seoul, Korea. He is also a member of the board of the United Nations Foundation.
It was truly and honor to speak with Dr. Yunus and ask him pressing questions about social business and the future of the economy.
In this interview we ask questions such as…
- What was the inspiration for your new book, A World of Three Zeros: The New Economics of Zero Poverty, Zero Unemployment, and Zero Net Carbon Emissions?
- What causes people to have self-doubting beliefs when considering entrepreneurship?
- Where does someone who takes a micro-loan get their insights to learn how to start a business?
- Is the money system the ultimate old road that we have to change?
- Is there ever a place in the future for a different economy that does not use money?
- If you’re addressing problems like plastic pollution or deforestation is there always a way to make money?
- As more people start social businesses do you see common characteristics between great leaders?
- Will automation help spike social business?
Plus so much more amazing discussion!
Subscribe to Change Creator Magazine and get more powerful strategies and tactics for growing your social business.