Exclusive interview with the head of Legal Policy at B Lab, Rick Alexander.
In this interview we talk with the head of Legal Policy at B Lab, Rick Alexander. This is such an important discussion as we all need to understand how to approach legal structures for our startups. This has been a big learning curve for Change Creator and I think this discussion will help you gain a lot of clarity.
Rick is also the author of a great book called, Benefit Corporation Law and Governance: Pursuing Profit with Purpose.
He understands we have to rewire how we think about business and is on a mission we align very closely too. We highly recommend diving into this book and interview.
If you’re not familiar with B Lab, here’s the download…
B Lab is a nonprofit organization that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for goodTM. Its vision is that one day all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the Best for the World® and as a result society will enjoy a more shared and durable prosperity. B Lab drives this systemic change by:
1) Building a global community of Certified B CorporationsTM who meet the highest standards of verified, overall social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability;
2) Promoting Mission Alignment using innovative corporate structures like the benefit corporation to align the interests of business with those of society and to help high impact businesses be built to last;
3) Helping tens of thousands of businesses, investors, and institutions Measure What Matters, by using the B Impact Assessment and B Analytics to manage their impact—and the impact of the businesses with whom they work—with as much rigor as their profits;
In this interview we touch on topics like
- How should you form business legal structure
- Is it OK to start as an LLC and than change later?
- What is a Benefit Corporation?
- What is the difference between C-corp and B-corp?
- What is most relevant for someone just getting started?
- What do investors look for and why?
- Why is he trying to rewire people’s brains about how we approach business?
- Where can you find lawyers who understand B-Corp and the future of legal?
Listen to a boatload more interviews here