It’s often said that the people you keep as your friends define you as a person.
While you may not be convinced by that theory yet as you may consider yourself unscathed by your surrounding but we are all impacted by our surroundings. It does matter.
Choose Your Friends Carefully
There are a lot of people in the world who agree with this idea and they advise everyone to choose their friends carefully so that they can live a happier and more substantial life. One way this has been discussed is to think of your 5 closest friends and take the average of their salaries. That number will likely be around what you make.
The people around you should lift you up!
It can be hard to let go of negative people.
Often times to become successful you need to let go of the negative people around you. Negative friends can bring you down and infect you with negativity. Sure they can be fun to hang around with, and you may find yourself enjoying hours and hours with them. However, by choosing to keep them in your life, you will often lose sight of the big picture.
This does not mean you need to start ditching good friends. However, it does mean you should be aware of how you’re spending your time and whom it’s with.
You want to spend time with people that are doing what you want to do. They have the success you want to have. This is will work wonders for your own development.
Tips on what to look for in a friend
- Search for individuals who share the same goals that you do so that you can push harder when it comes to achieving your dreams.
- Friends with a pessimistic outlook or negative mindset will always pull you down and you won’t realize it immediately, but you will slowly notice that you’re treading water.
- Break out of your comfort zone. Find friends who will challenge you too.
- Do activities, go places you’ve never been before.
- Talk to people who don’t look like you.
- Make friends as fast as kids do.
- Don’t be afraid of rejection. Everyone needs more friends.
- Get out of the office and meet people in your area.
- Forget about business for a hot second and just be in the moment — people connect with personalities. Stop trying to impress others.
A Few Things I Know for Sure
If you don’t change any of the conditions in your life you will keep on doing the same things and you will not grow as a person.
Think about where you want to be in the future, find the right people to push you forward. If you want to become somebody that you have never been, you have to start doing things differently.
The people in your life will affect how your life will become to a great degree.